Our actions for a sustainable and safe development
The protection of people, property and the environment is an absolute priority for each and every one of our employees, who make it their duty to scrupulously respect the rigorous measures put in place to:
- reduce the risk level of industrial accidents as much as possible;
- ensure the safety of the people present on site and of the general public;
- contribute to the sustainable development of the community, Greater Montreal, and Quebec.
Protection of the environment
We recover gasoline vapours at its loading docks when tank trucks are being filled. The annual volume recovered by the vapour recovery unit (VRU) is over 300,000 litres of gasoline. The efficiency of this facility has been confirmed by an independent evaluation that measured a recovery rate of over 99.5% and emissions of less than 1 mg/l (the standard is 35 mg/l).
We also blend 75 million litres of ethanol into gasoline and 1 million litres of biodiesel into diesel annually. These biofuels are alternative energy sources that contribute to the reduction of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and pollution, thereby allowing its customers to reduce their environmental footprint.
Our guiding principles for environmental protection include:
- minimizing the impact of our oil storage and handling operations at the at the unloading docks on air and water quality;
- minimizing hydrocarbon leaks into the environment with a
“zero leak” objective;
- rigorous managing of residual materials and hazardous waste and their disposal
at an authorized site;
- maximizing mitigation of hydrocarbon odors and other nuisances that may
emanate from our facilities and inconvenience our neighbors and the community.
Based on strict compliance with laws, regulations, standards, other requirements, and the industry’s best practices, our risk management policy is designed to ensure safe operation of our facilities to minimize the risk of accidents (such as spills, fires, injury incidents, etc.).
Our guiding principles for risk management include:
- minimizing the impact of our hydrocarbon storage and transshipment
activities on the environment, health and safety of our employees,
contractors, customers and the public;
- controlling at the source the risks of failure likely to harm the
environment, by constantly monitoring the installations with an electronic
- control of subcontracted activities by means of procedures and directives
integrated into operating specifications and service agreements.
Emergency measures plan
We make it a point to respect our commitment to operate the company according to recognized best practices in the design, construction, operation and maintenance of equipment.
We do this by using work methods that prevent or, if necessary, control any emergency situation that could pose a threat to employees, the public, property or the environment.
We also maintain an emergency response plan designed to quickly mobilize the resources required in the event of a disaster. This plan is reviewed periodically by the Emergency Planning Committee and is widely distributed within the organization.
Occupational Health and Safety
The implementation of our occupational health and safety policy emphasizes prevention as well as the individual responsibility of each person to respect the measures put in place.
In the performance of their respective duties, staff members are required to comply with regulations and directives in a manner that is optimal, but prudent, so as not to endanger themselves or their colleagues.
Anti-harassment in all its forms
Physical and psychological integrity as well as the dignity of individuals are fundamental values of the organization, which, in keeping with its commitment to maintain a harmonious work environment, we have a zero tolerance policy for work place harassment.